King Oyster Babies

6 Apr

– This is our first King Oyster (Pleurotus Eryngii) grow and it seems that everything is going ok.
– The substrate is 40% horse manure, 40% worm casts, 5% gypsum and 5% vermiculite
– The substrate was steam pasteurized at between 60 and 70ºC, mixed with the king oyster mycelium and filled into 2 bags (1 bag about 3,5kg and the other about 2kg)

Both blocks started forming pins (mushrooms birthing) when they where still in the closed bag

Two days after taking the blocks out of the bag the pins started to form their caps

I will keep posting pictures every 2-3 days


Trial Growroom Setup

2 Apr

This is a trial setup for a bigger, commercial mushroom growing house.  In this trial growroom we will be doing the same tasks as in the future bigger setup but with less substrate, 40kg of substrate/week.

– The room has a northwest orientation and has a big tree by the window. These and the A/C unit if needed will help keep the room fresh during the summer

– There is plenty of natural light and no direct sunlight so artificial light is not needed

– The Floor has been covered with several layers of thick plastic

– We will put extra shelves (12 in total) to accomodate three blocks of 3 kilograms each

– The two humidifiers maintain a 90-95% humidity.  Due to the dry weather in Madrid (30%-40% this days) i have the big one 24/7 and the small one on a timer 15 mins ON / 45 mins OFF.

– Some trays with perlite help to maintain the humidity when the greenhouse is quite empty.  We place them on the empty shelves

– We had at home this old Thermo Hygrometer because my grandfather and father used to run a business where they sold them, it has become my favorite gadget.  It records humidity and temp. for a week with no shitty batteries.  It´s also much more accurate than all the digital hygrometers under 100€

The image above shows the evolution of the humidity.  It took me some hours to setup the humidifiers to maintain 90-95% RH.

For FAE (Fresh Air Exchange) we just cut 4 holes on one side.  We also live the zips from both sides of the greenhouse´s door wide open.

¿like the planets and the stars on the wall? I think the mushrooms do 🙂

– This is the space for incubation which will be cleared of soon to accomodate all the substrate bags

– We will put something to stop some rays of sunlight that manage to hit the shelves

– Bag of pasteurized substrate (50% horse manure 50% worm casts) spawnned with king oyster (pleurotus eryngii)

– This is a homemade steam pasteurizer. It uses the steam cleaning machine on the left to inject steam inside the pasteurizer and elevate the temperature between 60-70ºC

– The box is made of to plastic containers, one smaller and placed inside the other.

– Between the two a thick layer of insulation (sleeping bags) is placed covering all of the inner container

The inside container has a metal wireframe some centimeters above the bottom.  This makes posible that the steam is injected from under the substrate.

We use jars to pasteurize the substrate.  We tried bigger containers but the center of the substrate took up to 2 hours to reach 60ºC. With the jars it takes about 45 minutes

A thermometer with a sensor that we place in the middle of the substrate tells us when it reaches the pasteurization temp (60ºC). We maintain a temp between 60ºC-70ºC for 1 hour.

Another Thermometer introduced through a hole in the inner container gives as the ambient temperature inside the pasteurizer.  When the temperature drops below 60ºC some more steam has to be injected into the box.

With the insulation we have now we are injecting about 3 minutes of steam at the beginning and 1 minute every 30 mins.

This is the thermometer seen throught a hole in the outer box. We made if because we couldn´t read it because of the vapor.

The missing piece of the growing room is a space for spawning and filling the bags.

This is a sketch of what we wanna make


Would love to hear some feedback

see you soon!

First Mushrooms!!!

2 Apr

This is our first success growing oyster mushrooms on spend coffee grounds, without pasteurizing the substrate (believing the hot water from the coffee machine would be enough).  The contamination ratio has been very high, about 50% for oysters and nearly 100% for shiitake.  At the beggining the oysters where doing fine but i guess when shiitake started to get moldy, cross contamination happened.  We have decided to pasteurize from now on nad maybe so som trials without pasteurizing in the near future.

This was the first Oyster (pleurotus ostreatus) flush in a 3kg bag of 100% coffee grounds.  The mushrooms are spinning with long steams telling us that they need more light so…

…we found for them a new home with plenty of light

As you can see the mushrooms have a long stem and small head, however, they look healthy

more coming soon…